Healthy Schools Program
In partnership with Alliance for a Healthier Generation, a national organization that is dedicated to improving the health of children and creating healthy school environments, 30 of our schools now participate in the Healthy Schools Program (HSP).
The HSP outlines criteria in 7 areas that participating schools must meet to be recognized as a “Healthy School” and schools can progress to different levels of achievement (bronze, silver and gold).
FAQ about the Healthy Schools Program
What is Required from Schools to Participate?
- Schools must have a school wellness committee, led by a facilitator.
- Schools must assess their schools using their School Health Inventory.
- Schools work closely with District and HSP coordinators to identify, plan and evaluate initiatives that help them to achieve Healthy School recognition.
What Do Participating Schools Receive?
- Ongoing personal and technical support and resources
- Monetary support -$500 per year for 4 years.
- RECOGNITION from District and Nationally:
- If school achieves any level of achievement (bronze, silver or gold), one member from each school will attend the annual national HSP recognition convention, hosted by Bill Clinton.
- Schools will receive large HSP recognition banner for their school.
- Monetary Awards-for every level achieved, school will receive monetary award from the Healthier US Challenge organization (Let's Move.org) as follows:
- Bronze: $500
- Silver: $1,000
- Gold: $1,500
- Gold with distinction: $2,000